Welcome to the Bands of Wando! Following is some very important information to help you get started.
Check out our Wando Band Handbook (18-19 coming soon) for our complete schedule. Rookies – make note of camp dates ! Get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water and wear sunscreen. Note: Students will be responsible for their own filled water bottle, sunscreen, and insect repellent.
It’s time to fill out the band and CCSD forms for the current school year. You can print out these required forms from the Forms page. Forms are due by the end of band camp. Drop your completed forms off in the designated spot inside the band room. If you are unable to print the forms, please check the band room for copies.
Extracurricular and After Hours School Sponsored Events and Trips Consent for Medical Treatment Form
The Extracurricular Consent form (2 pages) Must be signed by the parent in two places and a date entered for the last tetanus shot. These are easily overlooked on the form. You will need to have the form notarized in advance.
This form is required of all students traveling with the band.
Fill out the Band Handbook Signature Page form and submit it after you have reviewed the handbook.
Additional medical forms are also required if your child is taking any medications that must be administered by our medical volunteers or if he or she self-medicates. Please refer to the form page on the band website for more information.
Please click & fill out the information in this form if you will be volunteering with the Wando Band kids. This includes chaperoning, lessons, serving meals, medical tent, etc. If you will be working with students in any capacity, please fill out this form. This is required by CCSD. When you receive confirmation, please email that form to email@example.com.
What is CharmsOffice? It’s a software program designed for music programs just like ours that includes features such as a calendar, volunteer sign ups, email, text messaging and much more. We can track your forms, uniforms, and instrument rentals. You will also be able to update your own contact information.
We’ll be launching the Parent/Student side of Charms over the next two weeks by providing you with your own password to access the private area. In the meantime, check out the public side of Charms for Wando Bands.
AJ Johnston, Savannah Mellichamp, Alexis Clark & Anna Johnston
PRACTICE AND LEARN THE MUSIC OVER THE SUMMER
This is NOT a band requirement. However, start early if memorization is a challenge.
GET ACCLIMATED TO THE HEAT & GET PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
The directors will tell you and the students to “Get them out in the sun and heat before band camp starts and do some exercise”. BELIEVE THEM!
There is some physical activity during camp ~ running, sit ups and pushups every day of band camp.
Cleaning the garage and yard work are great tasks for the non-athletic types.
TURN THE CLOCK BACK
Most kids stay up late during the summer. A couple of weeks before camp, start going to bed a little bit earlier.
Rookie & Marching Band Camp
STUDENT MUST HAVES
- Bring instrument, music, and other necessary supplies.
- Comfortable athletic shoes & sock. Light colored, comfortable clothing.
- Wide brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Bring and use sunscreen and bug spray. It is critical.
- Get sport towels that can keep you cool (it’s really helpful).
- A cinch sack to carry your “stuff” to the band field.
- A water cooler that has “hooks” to attach to the fence.
START TIMES & END TIMES
- The start time (or call time) is not drop off time. Drop them off at least 15 minutes early. (Early is on time & on time is late.)
- End time, means that’s when band stops practicing. The kids may not be ready to leave Wando until 15-20 minutes after.
PARENT & STUDENT COMMUNICATIONS
- Though rare, the schedule can change, weather can alter practice, your child’s section may go to “Moes” for lunch during a Mini Camp, etc.
- It helps to get into the habit of checking for text messages (don’t text and drive please). If your student doesn’t look at their text messages often, this is a great time to get in the habit. They will also need to do this for their classes.
- Sign up for the Remind Texts, Twitter, Instagram, & Bands of Wando Parents Facebook Page.
STAY HYDRATED & MINIMIZE DAIRY
- Staying hydrated during camp is very important. Make sure your student drinks water and/or “Gatorade” (for electrolytes) at the end of the day and first thing in the morning before leaving for camp. Also, try to limit if not avoid dairy during camp.
- Limit or avoid dairy during camp.
- Bring water bottle, filled each day.